Purchasing a Grass TrimmerMay 18/10
Several times a week I have to explain to people about discount priced Box Store grass trimmers. The $99.00 or less gas powered grass trimmers that are piled by the front doors and cash register areas of Box Stores are impulse purchase items only, they are intended to appeal to the implode purchaser who can't pass buy what appears to be a good deal. They may operate as intended for a while but are not made to last a long time and are basically "Throw Away" items once broken. I will list some comparisons between what can be purchased for at Box stores and an entry level Echo brand quality trimmer that we sell.
Green Label Box Store Echo Brand dealer supplied Effect
1) Single or Dual line Single line - not balanced Dual line -- Balanced Less vibration + longer life
2) Line change or fill Messy self wind up Rapid load head
3) Head Diameter 2 or 3 inch 6 inch More cutting force, faster
4) Shaft length Short shaft Longer shaft Easier on back not bending over
5) Drive clutch No clutch-shaft and cutting Clutch-you are only spinning head turn while pulling to start the engine while pull starting Way easier to start + use
6) Engine durability rating 50 hours 300 hours Long life expectancy
7) Dealer set up sold in Box - not running Set up, running + tested No Hassle
8) Warranty 6 mth to 2 years 5 full years 2 1/2 to 3 times longer
9) Service You are on your own On the spot service No hassle service
10) Life expectancy Not worth fixing Indefinite Dependable, hassle free for many years
11) Price $99.00 - $169.00 $179.00 What do you think is a better Deal!
Reader CommentsTo comment on this Tip, fill out our Tip Reader Comment Form. Useful comments will be added below.